Tuesday, August 30, 2011

3 Goat Farms and a Family Visit Later....


Bend took me close to Juniper Grove Farm in Redmond, and I was happy to visit Pierre and learn a bit more about what it would be like to work with such a high quality, small-scale operation like the one he runs. Unfortunately, no photos, but I will remember our conversation and the great cheese he makes. It would be great to work at a location that produces such wonderful cheese.

After driving for a few hours I stayed at Juanita Lake campground in California, and it was clear by the vegetation change that I was no longer in Oregon. What an incredible mixed forest and lush vegetation, and a path around the lake as well. The next day I pulled into Harbin Hot Springs for a dose of extreme northern California cultcha - THIS PLACE DOES NOT COMPARE IN ANY WAY TO BREITENBUSH HOT SPRINGS. It's different, and I felt different, like a hoe-downy country bumpkin from wilds of Washington State. I did my best to join in the fun, doing a yoga class, a color aura healing, and increased my area of sun exposure. I left my hat on, and tried to piece together my memory of being there over 15 years ago. Didn't seem the same for some reason.

The next day I rallied for the drive down the canyon to Redwood Hill Creamery. Scott Bice, the farm manager, showed me their family farm, and gave me a good idea of what it would be like to work at a larger scale goat dairy. They have a gorgeous mix of several breeds, and specialize in breeding excellent lineages. It would be extremely fun and interesting to work with their herd and milking facility.


Friendly Nubian from Redwood Creamery.


Some of Redwood Hill's award winning bucks.


The highlight of the last few days was working with Patty Karlin at Bodega Artisan Cheese. She had me help make cheese one day, and milk the next. She has done amazing work to retrofit her farm with permaculture plantings, swales and solar energy. Her cheese is great, and she was super kind to me. Thank you, Patty. What a wonderful herd of Alpines you have, and what a sweet, sweet farm. 
Patty with her excellent Charolais
Patty's farm is for sale - 7 south facing acres with several living spaces, nearby the wonderful town of Bodega - a great community. She's flexible with financing, and there's a goat dairy with an established reputation to run, or to work with her to learn the business. I'm interested, are you?

After all this meeting of people, seeing family, and all that it brings up, I am on my way back to Bellingham, to Laurel, specifically, and hope to see you soon. There will be new chapters of Goat Farm Will Travel, but for now it's back to driving home, and hope to see you while I'm in Bellingham. 

No comments:

Post a Comment