Saturday, August 6, 2011

On the way to Bend

I'm on the way to visit Nancy in Bend, Oregon, and find that both state parks near the Columbia River gorge are full....so here I am in a McDonald's of all places drinking coffee, getting ready for the drive. There's a fellow here who has been travelling for 18 years, a social scientist, trying to make sense out of the US by writing about his travels. He is on his way to Colorado to join a writer's workshop in Ft. Lewis College, Durango, Colorado.

I had the good fortune, thanks to Cathy and Mary, of staying in a house in Waitsburg for the last 3 nights, empty though it was - a rental house in between tenants. It gave me time to get organized, cook, send some boxes back to Bellingham, and get ready for the next phase of the journey. Nancy is going through a similar relationship change, and has a daughter. I can't help but wonder what is it about us humans that causes us to change how we treat each other over time? I would write about this, but blogging is new to me, and it might be best to limit any personal information until I get more experience.

 If you have any ideas, though, or think you might have some insight, I could certainly hear it. What I will say is that life is too short to spend it in a way that causes one to be unhappy for long periods. As long as we have the choice to explore new possibilities, we might be best off to re-evaluate our commitments. I never thought I would say this, as I see myself as the type who learns through loyalty and responsibility. But it's good to try a change on the outside, and stay open to new resources.

I am always scanning my new acquaintances along the road for their awareness of peak oil, climate change, and what they are doing in response.Walla Walla area is more like Never Never land at present. People generally seem to think something is coming, given the climate events of this spring, but still are able to put off any direct preparation while the party goes on. Having postponed my own preparations, opting to throw my fate to the wind ( which happens only by the grace of my own little fossil fuel equivalent of 204 slaves - my car), I am merely keeping my eyes open for signs of change and awareness at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment